Saturday, March 27, 2010

He said he had a Red Canoe



I attempted to learn from a Tom Thomson painting, The Canoe (painted in the spring or fall of 1914)- only I changed the colour of the canoe from birch-bark white to red. Sacrilege, I know...but,  I did this as homage to the red canoe my husband had when we first started dating.  We went out on the Saskatchewan River on one of our first dates, and I fell in love (with James the nature boy, not the canoe).

Now, about the painting.  I have worked on the water and sky over and over again.  It's taken several "re-writes" to get it to a state I think I'm happy with.  The two tall trees in the foreground at the right, I like.  The third, smaller one, I don't.  I might just paint it out.  In the original there are more trees in front of the centre of the canoe, and I might attempt to put them in later if I'm brave enough.  As for the canoe itself, I'm really not happy with it.  The shape/perspective is wrong and that bugs me to no end.  It will have to wait though, I'm putting this aside until the time is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment